The Great Wall of China (长城) ,one of the greatest wonders of the world, Listed as a World Heritage by UNESCO in 1987. Stretching approximately 8,851.8 kilometers (5,500 miles) from east to west of China, the Great Wall is like a gigantic dragon, winding up and down across deserts, grasslands, mountains and plateaus.
No matter what you think it’ll be like the Great Wall will still blow you away. You can’t prepare yourself for the awe, but you can prepare for experiencing this ultimate historical hotspot.
Best Time to Visit the Great Wall
- The best departure point for main sections is Beijing.
- Go early morning or late afternoon to avoid crowds and have great light for photos.
- Try to avoid weekends, especially in summer.
Visit the Walll Badaling Section
- Badaling Section is the most touristed section of the Great Wall. There are lots of hawkers.
- While not as ‘pristine’ as other parts, it’s best for older travelers, families with small children, those who don’t love sheer drops and those short on time.
- Leave Beijing early and do it as a half-day trip.
- If you take the Tourism Bus direct to and from, but no guided tour attached – you’ll have about two hours to visit.
- This is often coupled with a visit to the Ming Tombs, making a full-day trip.
- One of the wall’s steepest and most beautiful points.
- Best for fit folks with sturdy, good-grip shoes and a penchant for stunning views – and the requisite steep climbs.
- Bring a day pack (you need your arms free for the climb).
- Drinks are very pricey and food is scarce, so bring your own.
- Unless you really want a souvenir, avoid eye contact with the vendors.
- Remains relatively undeveloped.
- It’s the starting point of a 10km steep, stony hike to Simatai. Arriving at Simatai, you may have to buy another ticket.
- You can do the walk in the opposite direction, but getting a ride back to Beijing from Simatai is easier than from Jinshanling. Make arrangements with your driver to pick you up.
Most Recommended Best of China Tours
- 8 Days China Golden Triangle Tour with Great Wall Visit
- 10 Days Classic China Tour with Great Wall Visit
- 13 Days China Yangtze Tour with Great Wall Visit
To view more 2013 China Tours, please visit Top 10 Best of China Tours.